Viewing GRIB files from "other" sources

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
davidgal

Viewing GRIB files from "other" sources

Post by davidgal » 14 Oct 2014 12:12

Grib files from several sources (i.e. Skiron, Saildocs) do not open for viewing in zyGrib.
This is unfortunate as zyGrib is undoubtedly one of the best visualizers for grib data as well as being free and open.

I have attached a subset of the Skiron model output by university of Athens and widely used by many oceanic research institutes. This file is able of being viewed in may other viewers (i.e Ugrib, OpenCPN grib plugin), analysers and extractors without any problems or error messages.
skiron_subset.grb.bz2
subset of the UOA skiron model.
(325.21 KiB) Downloaded 841 times
Please advise on how to enable usage of such files in zyGrib. Is a change in the record set headers required?

Thanks,
David

davidgal

Re: Viewing GRIB files from "other" sources

Post by davidgal » 25 Oct 2014 19:10

ping?

jza
Site Admin

Post by jza » 28 Oct 2014 01:42

Hi,
zyGrib displays public free data.
This does not seem the case for your grib files.
A+
Jacques

davidgal

Post by davidgal » 30 Oct 2014 22:48

Hi

Free access to the Skiron model output has been made by Professor George Kallos of the University of Athens, Department of Physics, Atmospheric Modelling and Weather Forecasting Group. The Skiron model was developed and is maintained by this group. The UOA forecast site (based on Skiron outputs) is well known to yachting people in the area, especially the interactive pages http://forecast.uoa.gr/gmap/.

As I mentioned the underlying Grib files have been made available following a request to provide the model output openly and freely in a format useful for the leisure sailing community in the Mediterranean. A subset of the Gribs is currently published at http://wild-silk.org/en. This site which is under development and will continue to publish freely available daily updates of the Skiron Gribs and plans to provide free and open resources regarding weather forecast visualization and weather routing. (Showcase open-source software and provide tutorials, and hopefully free web base weather routing). The focus will be on sailing in the Mediterranean where a higher resolution and localised model is very much needed.

I believe that a large community will be most grateful if Skiron output will be recognized by zyGrib. It will open the possibility to visualize, in zyGrib, additional (high resolution) resources for forecasting in the Mediterranean where the GFS is less suited to reflect local weather effects.

Best regards,
David

DomH
Site Admin

Post by DomH » 31 Oct 2014 04:21

davidgal wrote:Hi

Free access to the Skiron model output has been made by Professor George Kallos of the University of Athens, Department of Physics, Atmospheric Modelling and Weather Forecasting Group.

As I mentioned the underlying Grib files have been made available following a request to provide the model output openly and freely in a format useful for the leisure sailing community in the Mediterranean. A subset of the Gribs is currently published at http://wild-silk.org/en.
Hi,

Thank you for this information.

I had a look of the grib data, as they can be read in Opencpn, but not in zyGrib, which is curious as Opencpn grib plugin is based on zyGrib.

Thank you, Jacques to have a look and find what is the problem.
Bonne journée ou bonne soirée (vous pouvez choisir)
Have a nice day or good night (you can choose)
Guten Morgen oder gute Nacht (Sie können wählen)

DomH

davidgal

Post by davidgal » 31 Oct 2014 10:10

Great!
Thanks for the quick reply.
David

jza
Site Admin

Post by jza » 02 Nov 2014 01:40

Hi,
Version 6.2.4 of zyGrib can display these grib files.
Thanks a lot for the link.
A+
Jacques

davidgal

Post by davidgal » 02 Nov 2014 13:05

Thanks to all the team at zyGrib!

I'm amazed by the quick response in releasing version 6.2.4 so as to include opening and viewing of Skiron sourced grib files. This really provides an important capability for all leisure sailors in the Mediterranean to be able to view high resolution grib files that reflect local weather effects.

I have added due credits and links on the web site http://wild-silk.org/en/ where Skiron Grib files are available for download.

Great job!!!

David

pbenaben

Post by pbenaben » 02 Nov 2014 22:03

Bravo