zyGrib Hangs 100% CPU on OSX 10.10.1, 6.3 and 7.0.0

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
ieb

zyGrib Hangs 100% CPU on OSX 10.10.1, 6.3 and 7.0.0

Post by ieb » 23 Feb 2015 13:06

Hi,
zyGrib is a great program, but for some reason I can't get it to work any more on my MacBook. I think its because I have some bad saved settings, rather than anything being wrong with the program. Here is what happens:

Open the program.
I see a blue map area which looks like it might be zoomed right in.
The program appears to load the last Gib, and the 2 progress bars complete.
Then I see the spinning pizza wheel. CPU for the process is 100%, and the Kernel starts producing cpu_resource.diag dumps in the OSX Console.

Since it was working a few months ago, and I think its my saved settings, could someone tell me where all the configuration settings are stored on OSX so I can reset them to default and get the program to start up.

I have tried
rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.yourcompany.zyGrib.savedState
rm -rf /Applications/zyGrib_mac-6.2.3/data/config
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.yourcompany.zyGrib.plist

but the settings that have put it into this state must be somewhere else, as these dont change the startup mode.

Alternatively, is there a way of starting the program in debug mode so I can work out which grib file its trying to load, and move it.

The dump in the OSX Console looks like its doing usefull work drawing millions of wind arrows.

Happens on both 6.3.? and 7.0.0 just upgraded.

Best Regards
Ian

jza
Site Admin

Re: zyGrib Hangs 100% CPU on OSX 10.10.1, 6.3 and 7.0.0

Post by jza » 23 Feb 2015 17:06

Hi,
To reinitialize zygrib you have to suppress all the occurences of the file zygrib.ini
I don't know where it is on a mac.
A+
Jacques

ieb

Re: zyGrib Hangs 100% CPU on OSX 10.10.1, 6.3 and 7.0.0

Post by ieb » 23 Feb 2015 18:59

Hi,
Ok, thanks, I found 2 copies,
~/.zygrib/zygrib.ini
/Applications/zygrib.app/config/zygrib.ini

but that didnt stop the loading and the 100% CPU, so there must be another copy somewhere.

What did was guessing which Grib file was being loaded and moving it out the way.

The program started, didnt load the grib file and didn't go into 100%. It was zoomed right in, provably so 1nm covered the whole screen. I guess something was trying to draw the loaded grib at that zoom level and going into an infinite loop trying to resolve something that could not be resolved.

I zoomed out to 100nm, loaded the grib back in, and no problems.

Fixed and working again.
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Best Regards
Ian