Current?

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
aviva1

Current?

Post by aviva1 » 22 Apr 2015 22:15

"Current" is shown in the zyGrib Weather Data display area right below "Wind gust," but I don't find a word to return Current via email request from gribauto. Is Current a piece of information we can get? I would love to be able to see the Gulf Stream, for example, or better still, the Gulf Stream eddies. :?:

We will be sailing from St. Thomas to Rhode Island in early May, downloading from gribauto via Iridium SAT phone email daily. We are very excited about all the data available. Kudos to you on a really fabulous program!!!! :D

--Dorothy Mammen
s/v Aviva

aviva1

Re: Current?

Post by aviva1 » 29 Apr 2015 13:10

I now see on the home page that Current is not available from zygrib. Does anyone know of a source for current that can be displayed by zygrib?

Thanks!

--Dorothy Mammen

Ruud

Post by Ruud » 29 Apr 2015 15:52

Hello Dorothy,

There is an excellent solution provided by Saildocs.
Send a mail to: query@saildocs.com with the following request:
send RTOFS:49N,16N,083W,052W|0.5,0.5|24,48..192|CUR
Please be sure that there is nothing else, like a signature or message from your antivirus software, in your mail.

The gribfile uses 24h timesteps which cannot be changed, but you can adjust the resolution (1.0,1.0) and the number of hours ahead to reduce file size. The information displays without any problem in zyGrib.

Hope this information is helpfull and wishing you a very good trip.

Regards,
Ruud

aviva1

Post by aviva1 » 30 Apr 2015 00:37

Ruud -- Thank you very much. I see that all kinds of info is available from saildocs, including other grib info and forecasts. I'm digging into it! Thanks for the lead and for the specific current retrieval command, which worked perfectly.

Fair winds,
Dorothy Mammen
s/v Aviva