Stability indices

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
Tropelio

Stability indices

Post by Tropelio » 14 Aug 2012 12:39

Good afternoon,

I have been using the new version 6.0 and I must say that the new thermodynamic diagrams are fantastic and very useful. I am very happy with them, particularly because including this was my suggestion long time ago. So, thank you very much!

It is nice to read that the inclusion of wind forecast at different hights is planned for future work: wind shear with height is a very important variable to take into account in weather forecasting. My suggestion is to include also the computation of different stability indices (not only CAPE and CIN). These should not be too difficult once we have the thermodynamic diagram. The definition of different stability indices can be found here, for example:

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/indices.html

So including the values of these indices together with the thermodynamic diagram and, of course, the wind forecast at different levels would make this a very valuable tool.

Thanks a lot for your continuos work with this fantastic program. I shall send you an updated Spanish translation in September.

Kind regards,
Tropelio.

jza
Site Admin

Re: Stability indices

Post by jza » 16 Aug 2012 23:47

Hi,
For you, what are the most important indices ?
A+
Jacques

Tropelio

Post by Tropelio » 05 Sep 2012 11:45

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. I have been disconected for a while.

Well, I would say that since stability indeces are mostly empirical indices developed based upon experience, all of then are useful when analysing the atmospheric stability conditions in a particular location. But to give yoy a concrete answer, I would say that the set included in the link I mentioned before,

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/indices.html

would make a perfect set.

Thanks again for the effort.

Kind regards,
Tropelio

jza
Site Admin

Post by jza » 06 Sep 2012 07:44

Hi,
I know that, but my question was: "For you, what are the most important indices ?"

I do not have time to do everything at once.
A+
Jacques

Tropelio

Post by Tropelio » 06 Sep 2012 10:43

Hi,

I see. Well, appart from CAPE and CIN that are already included in zyGrib, I would choose the following:

Lifted Index
Showalter Index
K index
SWEAT (Severe Weather Threat).

Kind regards,
Tropelio

jza
Site Admin

Post by jza » 06 Sep 2012 14:14

Hi,
Tropelio wrote: Lifted Index