Convergence, divergence, and vorticity

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
Tropelio

Convergence, divergence, and vorticity

Post by Tropelio » 14 Sep 2013 09:49

Good morning,

After using zyGrib for some time after the last version appeared, I would like to thank the authors for their work. The program is spectacular.

I would like to suggest now some new features that I think would significantly improve the program, particularly for those using it to learn and/or teach Meteorology. Since you have wind vectors at any level it should be possible to compute and plot maps of convergence, divergence and relative and absolute vorticity at every atmospheric level using finite differencing of u and v (the horizontal wind components) and adding the planetary vorticityy to the relative vorticity computed in that way to obtain the absolute one. That would be very hepful to complete the picture of the atmosphere that zyGrib already provides.

Thanks again for your continuos work with this wonderful program.
Tropelio

jza
Site Admin

Re: Convergence, divergence, and vorticity

Post by jza » 28 Sep 2013 11:28

Hi,

Very good idea, but it would be a very heavy job to do it.
Perhaps in the future...
A+
Jacques

peeno

Re: Convergence, divergence, and vorticity

Post by peeno » 11 Oct 2014 06:31

this is very good post
a.rehman