Grib2 support

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
Tropelio

Grib2 support

Post by Tropelio » 06 Jan 2014 12:43

Hi,

zyGrbib is useful not only to download and display GFS forecast, but it is also a very useful program to display and analyze grib data from other sources. For example, this in an animation of the sea current in the Gibraltar Strait done using zyGrib with data from MyOcean:

It is possible to find free and very interesting weather data in the internet in format Grib2 instead of Grib1. For example,

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/opc_gridded_marine.php

So, my suggestion is to add support for Grib2 format in such a way that zyGrib could be used to display those kind of files.

Thanks a lot,

Tropelio

jza
Site Admin

Re: Grib2 support

Post by jza » 07 Jan 2014 09:03

Hi,

It's one of the works in progress... slow progress... ;)

You make beautiful animations.
A+
Jacques

DomH
Site Admin

Post by DomH » 07 Jan 2014 11:28

How, very nice.

I am trying to convert grib2 into grib1, while I do not want to put pressure on Jacques, but I am under Linux (debian/ubuntu) and I always fail to compile properly the tools.

If you have a .deb package, I really will appreciate, if not, no problem, I'll continue to work on.

Thanks in advance
Bonne journée ou bonne soirée (vous pouvez choisir)
Have a nice day or good night (you can choose)
Guten Morgen oder gute Nacht (Sie können wählen)

DomH

Tropelio

Post by Tropelio » 09 Jan 2014 21:39

Hi,

Unfortunately, I am in the same situation. I have been trying to compile cnvgrib (http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/codes/GRIB2/) for Fedora, but I have not been able to do it. I have found packages for Suse, but I have not seen them for Debian or Fedora...

Anyway, I will keep on trying. I will let you know any success.

Take care,
Tropelio

EvenSkyfile

Post by EvenSkyfile » 12 Mar 2015 16:04

Hi,
I tried to load a NDFD forecast but didn't work with Zygrib.
If I've understood what I read here and then, NDFD is Grib2 format and it would be the reason why it can't be properly interpreted by Zybrib. Am I wrong ?

QtVlm does it. I know nothing about QtVlm's teamwork nor Zygrib's teamwork but i believe there was kind of good relationship between Zygrib and QtVlm for POI's transfert - charts and so...
I'm not sure but I believe Zygrib is using Qt framework too. Am I wrong ?
I don't know if QtVlm do a Grib2->Grib1 conversion but in this case, would it be crazy to imagine Zygrib using QtVlm's conversion or any piece of framework.

Ok, that's plenty of "things" I don't know of, and I'm quite sure it ain't that easy and I miss a lot of technical, time schedule, versionning and so... stuff.
It was just an idea. I hope it help (that's' the aim of all this verbose ;) .

NDFD forecast, with professional forecaster's corrections are so valuable, and it's a pain in the a... to read it under QtVlm (I don't really mind it :mrgreen: ), knowing that looking at weather forecast with Zygrib is so cool : everything in it, the way you want it. figures or pics in any way you want it.

fogmachine

Post by fogmachine » 01 May 2015 22:07

DomH wrote:How, very nice.

I am trying to convert grib2 into grib1, while I do not want to put pressure on Jacques, but I am under Linux (debian/ubuntu) and I always fail to compile properly the tools.

If you have a .deb package, I really will appreciate, if not, no problem, I'll continue to work on.

Thanks in advance
I was able to use grib2to1 to convert the basic wind & pressure fields to a form zyGrib understands:

http://rda.ucar.edu/libraries/grib/c_ro ... grib2to1.c
http://rda.ucar.edu/libraries/grib/c_ro ... ackgrib2.c

Don't know how many fields it knows about.

I also played with wgrib, wgrib2, and cdo. They're a bit too powerful for me at this stage.