rain rate

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
elier

rain rate

Post by elier » 03 Jul 2010 15:16

I would like to know how zygrib takes the rain data from gfs output that is accumulative, because the original rain data in gfs is accumulative (inches in 6hr) and zygrib shows the rain as a rain rate (mm/hr) and the amount of rain doesnt match. I am a user of both output services : zygrib and noaa´s and I find incompatibility only in the rain data :? .

jza
Site Admin

Re: rain rate

Post by jza » 04 Jul 2010 22:52

Hello
You don't to say hello, it's bad :(
elier wrote:I would like to know how zygrib takes the rain data from gfs output that is accumulative, because the original rain data in gfs is accumulative (inches in 6hr) and zygrib shows the rain as a rain rate (mm/hr) and the amount of rain doesnt match. I am a user of both output services : zygrib and noaa´s and I find incompatibility only in the rain data :? .
  • I don't understand what you call "the NOAA output service".
    Zygrib display the values of accumulative rain as they are found in each grib record.
    The unit is not inches/6hr : NOAA is a serious office and uses the International System of Units, no obsolete or exotic units. ;)
    The duration of the accumulation is variable (not always 6 hours) and must be checked for each record in the grib file.
A+
Jacques

elier

Re: rain rate

Post by elier » 05 Jul 2010 01:44

Hello (sorry for the last time I will not forget that next time)
Thank you for your attention and you fast answer:
Excuse me if you dont understood my previous request, but I am not a french or english speaker ,and my english is bad and my french worse (almost 0) ;) , but I am working on that. What I try to say is that I work for a weather service and zygrib is very useful to me and some of my patners, and we also use the noaa graphic output of GFS in this site http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/ , where some graphic are presented as accumulated or total precipitation but the problem is that I though that was presented in inches but it seems that they used cm, (sorry my mistake) :roll: and I check and both graphic ,zygrib and ncep(attached), and they of course match.

Thank you for your attention (again) and for your work in zygrib :mrgreen:

elier
Attachments
gfs_p03_003m.gif
An example of gfs graphic output from NCEP site
gfs_p03_003m.gif (34.97 KiB) Viewed 5846 times